Tuesday 5 April 2022

Hi, Hi, Hi / C Moon - Wings

It's been a while since I had the opportunity to go to a real record shop and browse through racks of singles. It's always more interesting than buying singles online, because you tend to come across discs that you would never order from an online dealer. This is such a single: Wings' double A side of 'Hi, Hi, Hi' and 'C Moon'. 

In the UK, 'Hi, Hi, Hi' was banned by the BBC for its sexually suggestive lyrical content. The BBC also assumed that the title phrase, "We're gonna get hi, hi, hi" was a drug reference.The specific lyrics objected to is the apparent phrase "get you ready for my body gun"; McCartney has said that the correct lyrics are "get you ready for my polygon", an abstract image, and later said, "The BBC got some of the words wrong. But I suppose it is a bit of a dirty song if sex is dirty and naughty. I was in a sensuous mood in Spain when I wrote it."

As for 'C Moon', that title was inspired by lyrics in the song 'Wooly Bully' by Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs. McCartney said, "There's a line in [Wooly Bully] that says, 'Let's not be L7.' Well, L7, it was explained at the time, means a square—put L and 7 together and you get a square... So I thought of the idea of putting a C and a moon together (a half-moon) to get the opposite of a square. So 'C Moon' means cool, in other words."

My collection: 7" single no. 6678
Found: Plato, Leiden, 2 April 2022
Cost: €2
Tracks: 'Hi, Hi, Hi' / 'C Moon'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising