Friday 29 July 2011

They don't know - Kirsty MacColl

With Kim Wilde releasing an album of covers on August 27, it's inevitable that I went searching for the original versions of the songs featured on that album - at least, the ones that weren't already in my collection!

Kirsty MacColl's 'They don't know' was released in 1979. I didn't know there was a picture disc edition of the single, but here it is... I found it for close to nothing on Ebay. It made me wonder why I never saw this single before, because I would certainly have snapped it up: it's much better than the Tracey Ullman cover released a few years later.

My collection: 7" single no. 5191
Found: eBay.co.uk, received July 29, 2011
Cost: 2 pounds
Tracks: 'They don't know' / 'Motor on'

4 comments:

  1. A very nice song, Another tribute from Kim for her friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracey Ulmann had a hit with this in 1983-84.

    ReplyDelete
  3. err...just noticed your mention. nevermind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a lot slower and better , better voice and more emotion but I always thought Tracey was taking the piss (or was Tracey on the piss).love, love, love the bridge.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising