Monday 26 October 2009

You keep me hangin' on - Kim Wilde

Although I was always a Kim Wilde fan during my teens, this single caused a bit of a controversy back in 1986, when it was released. My brother swore it was the worst cover version of any song he'd ever heard, while I wrote in to the fanclub saying that any track from the album 'Another step' would have been a better choice than this track.

Of course, we were both wrong. The single reached number 2 in the UK singles chart - equalling the success of her debut single 'Kids in America' five years before - and reached the top of the US Billboard Hot 100 chart in the summer of 1987. Kim commented about the song: 'I remembered the song from a long time back on the radio. It wasn't a song I had in my collection, it wasn't a song I would play a lot. So when I went into the studio to record it, it was really fresh in my mind. That's why I think it's such a fresh version of that song.'

My collection: 7" single no. 457
Found: LP Top 100, Den Haag, September 20, 1986
Cost: 6 guilders
Tracks: 'You keep me hangin' on' / 'Loving you'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising