Friday 21 August 2009

One step ahead - Split Enz

I recently found out that Puck's brother is also a follower of this blog. All you other readers will not know him, so here's a short introduction: he likes early eighties music as long as it's not 'commercial'. That notion is in itself a curious one, since every artist is in the music business to sell records after all. When they don't succeed, it's usually not by design and a cause for a lot of frustration.

Anyway, since I appreciate all of my readers, I like to oblige. So here's an obscure Split Enz single. Released in 1981, it was a top 10 hit in Australia and New Zealand, but it didn't chart in other territories. This copy was pressed in America and is one of those 'laser etched' singles. I only have two of those, the other one being Split Enz's 'History never repeats'!

My collection: 7" single no. 2616
Found: Record fair, Den Haag, February 10, 1996
Cost: 2 guilders
Tracks: 'One step ahead' / 'In the wars'

2 comments:

  1. Hello Marcel,

    Thanks for posting this obscure Split Enz single. I had never heard (of) this song before. However I am very fond of 'Message to my girl', which was one of their biggest hits. So much for 'obscurity'! Do you happen to possess that single?
    By the way, you are quite right in your comment about me. Looking back on that 'obscure' period I can say that I've learned.
    Nevertheless I can't understand your passion for all those 'lightweight' (Risqué?) artists who cannot even play an instrument.
    (Is this the start of serious polemics?)


    Jos (Puck's brother)

    p.s. Keep on posting. I like your blog very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks , but it's not so obscure here in Oz. One of my favorite Enz tracks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising