Monday 8 December 2008

Cars - Gary Numan

As a little boy I was regularly playing with toy cars. That was in the days that I didn't realise they were stinking, noisy, environment-devastating machines. The appeal of Gary Numan's song 'Cars' back then was obvious. I didn't understand the lyrics yet, but the subject and the inventive use of crashing sounds (I was often playing car accidents with my toy cars) were a real turnon.

'Cars' was effectively Gary Numan's debut single, after he had abandoned the Tubeway Army moniker. His electronic music was preceding all the synthbands that would come to colour the eighties.

My collection: 7" single no. 50
Found: Rapsody, Den Haag, 1980
Cost: 3 guilders
Tracks: 'Cars' / 'Asylum'
Download: Album 'The pleasure principle', including both tracks (password: +++Hellion88+++)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising