Sunday, 4 October 2026

Masquerade - Sky

Inspired by classical music, Sky recorded several albums with their modern versions of compositions by various composers. Their best-known line-up featured two Australians - classical guitarist John Williams and electric guitarist Kevin Peek - alongside three Britons - bass player Herbie Flowers, drummer/percussionist Tristan Fry and keyboard player Francis Monkman. In 1980, Monkman was replaced by Steve Gray. In March 1982 they released their fourth album, and this single was taken from that one.

'Toccata' remains the band's only successful single, and I have to say that I never came across any other single by the band. Although I'd never heard 'Masquerade', I was intrigued enough to buy this single. The B-side, 'Fantasy', sounds more interesting, I have to say. According to Herbie Flowers, 'John was keen to do 'Fantasy' by Bach'. Turns out he had a good instinct.

My collection: 7" single no. 8448
Found: Plato, Leiden, 27 September 2026
Tracks: 'Masquerade' / 'Fantasy' 

Related Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Advertising