Sunday, 26 July 2026

Les chants magnétiques (part 4) - Jean Michel Jarre

I am familiar with 'Magnetic fields part 2', which was a hit in the Netherlands, but I didn't know that part 4 was also released as a single. I found this out last week, while I was ordering singles from a French seller. The track may not be as instantly catchy, but it is still a beautiful melody. I did think it was confusing that the title was 'Les chants magnétiques', because I always thought the title was 'Les champs magnétiques' in French.  

Turns out that it is a play on words. The literal English translation of the French title 'Les chants magnétiques' is 'Magnetic songs'. However, the French word for 'fields' (champs) is a homophone of the French word for 'songs' (chants), so in French, if the title is spoken out loud, it can be interpreted as either magnetic fields or as magnetic songs. Les Champs magnétiques was a surrealist book published in 1920.  

My collection: 7" single no. 8366
Found: Discogs.com, received 25 July 2026
Tracks: 'Les chants magnétiques (part 4)' / 'Les chants magnétiques (part 1, extrait)

Related Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Advertising