Tuesday 9 July 2024

Als m'n moesje niet meer hier is - Annie

I think I mentioned before that the repertoire of Dutch singer Annie is full of morbid lyrics. A good example is this single, 'Als m'n moesje niet meer hier is' ('If my mum is no longer among us'). A guy meets a girl, they dance a lot, and suddenly the girl is pregnant and says that they have to get married. But the guy refuses, saying that he doesn't want to leave his mum alone, and she'd have to wait until 'my mum is no longer among us'. The girl gets angry and says she doesn't ever want to see him again. When the guy gets home, he finds his mum... dead. 

Yes, I told you there's something morbid about her lyrics.

The B-side is a bit more innocent: it's about a girl in prison, who finds some consolation in a guy who is waiting for her outside, while taking care of her child. Somehow I feel this story won't end well either - but that is not told in the lyrics this time.

Annie is a phenomenon, and certainly a singer who amused me a lot back in the day.

My collection: 7" single no. 2873
Found: Disco Market, 1985
Tracks: 'Als m'n moesje niet meer hier is' / 'Meisje in de Bijlmerbajes'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising