Saturday 8 January 2022

Honeycomb - Marty Wilde

This blog has never featured a 78rpm disc before. But I've had a few of these for some years now, and I think it's only right to include the one that has two tracks on it that I don't actually have on 7" vinyl. This is 'Honeycomb', released by Marty Wilde in 1957. It was his debut release, and a version of an American number 1 hit by Jimmie Rodgers. The B-side, 'Wild cat', was written by Lionel Bart and Marty himself.

'Honeycomb' failed to chart, just like the two subsequent singles, 'Love bug crawl' and 'Oh-oh, I'm falling in love again'. It wasn't until his fourth single, 'Endless sleep', that Marty's career would take off - he would be in the UK singles charts for five consecutive years.

My collection: 78rpm disc [unnumbered]
Found: Ebay
Cost: €10
Tracks: 'Honeycomb' / 'Wild cat'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising