Sunday 5 December 2021

From Russia with love - Matt Monro

'From Russia with love' is one of the great forgotten Bond themes, performed in 1963 by Matt Monro. It was named after the second James Bond movie, based on Ian Fleming's Cold War thriller. I have always loved the old Bond theme songs, because they were so beautifully orchestrated and sung by classic artists.

I rediscovered this song, actually, when it was performed live by Colin Vearncombe a.k.a. Black, not long before his sudden and untimely death in 2016. (One of these performances can be enjoyed on YouTube.) 

It certainly isn't easy to get hold of all those early Bond songs, but I came across this pristine copy and it was an opportunity I couldn't pass on.

My collection: 7" single no. 6552
Found: 33|45 Records, Den Haag, 1 December 2021
Cost: €3
Tracks: 'From Russia with love' / 'Here and now'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising