Wednesday 4 December 2019

Wherever I lay my hat - Paul Young

'Wherever I lay my hat (that's my home)' is a song written by Marvin Gaye, Barrett Strong and Norman Whitfield, and first recorded by Gaye in 1962. It was the B-side to his 1969 hit 'Too busy thinking 'bout my baby'.Nearly two decades later, Paul Young's version of the song was a UK number 1 single for three weeks in July 1983.

After the Q-Tips disbanded in 1982, Young was signed by Columbia Records as a solo performer. His new backing band The Royal Family included keyboardist Kewley, fretless bass player Pino Palladino, guitarist Steve Bolton, drummer Mark Pinder, and backing singers Maz Roberts and Kim Leslie AKA 'The Fabulous Wealthy Tarts'. His first two singles, 'Iron out the rough spots' and a cover of 'Love of the common people', had no success, but this third single was a hit. It was a start of a very successful career all through the Eighties.

My collection: 7" single no. 6215
Found: Record fair, Utrecht, November 17, 2019
Cost: 0,8 euro
Tracks: 'Wherever I lay my hat' / 'Broken man'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising