Wednesday 17 February 2010

Take the long way home (live) - Supertramp

Roger Hodgson commented in 1990: ''Take The Long Way Home' has a quality about it that just makes me feel warm inside. I don't know if it's the harmonies or the melodies, or whatever, but I never get sick of it. I always saw the song a little ambiguous. It's on two levels. I see 'home' as being internal and external. It's kind of a play on words. Definitely part of the song is about the shallowness of success and getting caught up in a world and success and chasing, being popular, or whatever, is taking 'the long way home'. Because I think 'home' in its deepest sense is inside, is being at peace with oneself.'

Originally released on the album 'Breakfast in America' in 1979, a live version was recorded on the album 'Paris' a year later and released as a single. This single was not a commercial success, but it's a good version nonetheless.

My collection: 7" single no. 2794
Found: Record fair, Rotterdam, December 14, 1996
Cost: 1 guilder
Tracks: 'Take the long way home (live)' / 'From now on (live)'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising