Tuesday 9 February 2010

Follow you follow me - Genesis

I didn't hear 'Follow you follow me' until the second half of the Eighties, and I couldn't believe this was a song from 1978. The track was taken from Genesis's ninth studio album 'And then there were three...', a title to reflect the departure of band member Steve Hackett, reducing the band to a trio. This lineup would last until 1996, and give them their biggest mainstream successes.

The slow, sentimental ballad was composed by the band with lyrics by Mike Rutherford. The band had concluded that their music was attracting mainly male audiences, and this song was a deliberate attempt to attract female audiences as well. The strategy worked: they had their first top 10 hit in the UK (peaking at number 7) and their first top 40 hit in America (peaking at number 23). It was also their first single hit in the Netherlands, where it peaked at number 17 in the Dutch Top 40.

My collection: 7" single no. 816
Found: Disco Market, Den Haag, May 13, 1989
Cost: 1 guilder
Tracks: 'Follow you follow me' / 'Ballad of big'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising