Thursday 14 January 2010

Ordinary world - Duran Duran

'Ordinary world' was written by Simon Le Bon as the second of a trilogy of songs for his late friend David Miles; the others being 'Do you believe in shame?' (1988) and 'Out of my mind' (1997). The song can be credited for bringing back Duran Duran into the public eye after the commercial failure of their 1991 album 'Liberty' and associated singles.

When Capitol leaked 'Ordinary world' to a radio station in Florida, the track proved so popular that the release date had to be brought forward in the USA. The single reached number 3 in the US Billboard Hot 100 chart. In the UK, the single was almost equally popular, peaking at number 6. In the Netherlands, it would prove to be the band's last hit single, reaching number 14 in the Dutch Top 40.

In 1993, the 7" vinyl format had become so rare that it was impossible for me to find this single on vinyl. In 1995, I suddenly found a jukebox promo copy, which I bought immediately. Two years after that, I finally saw a commercial copy (with picture sleeve) of the 7" single. It had been sold in the UK all along, I just didn't know about it.

My collection: 7" single no. 2241 / no. 2882
Found: Record fair, February 18, 1995 / House of Rhythm, London, October 28, 1997
Cost: 10 guilders / 60p
Tracks: 'Ordinary world' / 'My Antarctica'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising