Sunday 6 September 2009

Make me smile (Come up and see me) - Cockney Rebel

Steve Harley from Cockney Rebel explained in a 2002 interview that the lyric of 'Make me smile (Come up and see me)' was vindictively directed at former band members, whom he felt had abandoned him. The acoustic guitar solo was originally a sound-check warm-up by Jim Cregan that was captured on tape and later used when it was realised it added to the song. It was included on the band's 1975 album 'The best years of our lives' and released as a single that same year.

It became the band's biggest hits, selling over one million copies worldwide, topping the UK and Irish singles chart and reaching number 6 in the Dutch Top 40. The song was covered by, amongst others, Duran Duran and Erasure.

My collection: 7" single no. 1041
Found: Record Exchange, London, October 17, 1989
Cost: 50p
Tracks: 'Make me smile (Come up and see me)' / 'Another journey'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising