Wednesday 9 September 2009

Always on my mind - Pet Shop Boys

'Always on my mind' was written by Johnny Christopher, Mark James and Wayne Carson Thompson and originally recorded by Brenda Lee in 1972. That same year, Elvis Presley also recorded the song, and this is the version that became the most famous one through the years.

In 1987, Pet Shop Boys performed a version of 'Always on my mind' on 'Love me tender', an ITV network television special commemorating the tenth anniversary of Presley's death, in which various popular contemporary acts performed cover versions of his hits. Their performance was so well-received that the group decided to record the song and release it as a single. This version became that year's UK Christmas number one.

My collection: 7" single no. 1963
Found: Record fair, Amsterdam, September 25, 1993
Cost: 3 guilders
Tracks: 'Always on my mind' / 'Do I have to?'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising