Thursday 16 April 2009

Go west - Village People

Another track I've featured on this blog before, but now in the shorter single version, as opposed to the long 12" version. 'Go west' peaked at number 31 in the Netherlands in the summer of 1979. At the same time, it made number 15 in the UK.

At the time, I was spending my weekly allowance of 3 guilders in the local record shop. While chart singles cost 6 guilders, the shop discounted them once they left the Top 40. I went round that shop almost every week, hoping for something good to be available. I seem to recall that this catch was a relative disappointment, since more singles had left the chart, but they were already sold out. So I made do with this one. I'm glad I have it now, because of course it is the original version of the Pet Shop Boys' 1992 cover version. But how was I to know?

My collection: 7" single no. 23
Found: Wouters, Den Haag, 1979
Cost: 3 guilders
Tracks: 'Go west' / 'I wanna shake your hand'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising