Sunday 8 February 2009

On the border - Al Stewart

Everyone remembers Al Stewart's hit 'Year of the cat', and rightfully so, because it's a classic track. It was also his only hit in the UK. But in the Netherlands it's a different story: 'Year of the cat' reached number 6 in the Dutch Top 40, but the next single, 'On the border', did even better, reaching number 5.

I bought this single, with a slightly tattered sleeve, in 1995. When I saw the man live on February 16, 1996, I took the sleeve with me. And I was lucky: I actually met the man after the concert and got this sleeve signed, as well as the cd I bought there. I consider this quite a collector's item, although I don't know how much people would give for an Al Stewart signature these days...

My collection: 7" single no. 2566
Found: All that music, Leiden, November 19, 1995
Cost: 2 guilders
Tracks: 'On the border' / 'Flying sorcery'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising