Saturday 7 February 2009

In love with you - Maribelle

If it wasn't obvious already, I have a built-in loathing of Dutch music. Most Dutch productions are cheesy and substandard, while most Dutch artists think the world of themselves. So I approach Dutch contributions to the Eurovision Song Contest with caution - and more often than not, I find them downright appalling.

More than a decade after Maribelle represented the Netherlands at the Contest in 1984 and finished 13th, my friend played me his copy of the single. It was quite a shock to find that 'Ik hou van jou' was actually a true classic. Not because of the cheesy lyrics or the slightly overemotional rendition by the singer, but for the sheer beauty of the melody the orchestra plays. After I got the Dutch single I went looking for the English version. This single is actually quite rare, since it wasn't a hit anywhere.

My collection: 7" single no. 2982
Found: Bea Records, April 4, 1998
Cost: 15 guilders
Tracks: 'In love with you' / 'I want you back again'
Download: here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising