Saturday 3 January 2009

God thank you woman - Culture Club

'God thank you woman' was the last single from the Culture Club before they broke up in 1986. Lacking the immediate appeal of their early singles, it has actually stood the test of time better than those big hits. At least, that's what I think now that I've heard this track for the first time in a long time. It is a positive, uplifting song with a few strange and surprising turns.

The B-side of this single is the track 'From luxury to heartache', which was the title of their 1986 album. This track, however, was only available here, on this single.

My collection: 7" single no. 3521
Found: La La Land, Den Haag, January 3, 2009
Cost: 1,5 euro
Tracks: 'God thank you woman' / 'From luxury to heartache'
Download: here

2 comments:

  1. I have always loved the album FROM LUXURY TO HEARTACHE. It came out in 1986 when I was preparing for my A-level examination, and I listened to it a lot (together with many landmark albums released in that year). GOD THANK YOU WOMAN is on Side B, first cut, and I like FROM LUXURY TO HEARTACHE as well. So poppish! Arif Mardin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the 80s I could only find the 12" edition in my hometown Den Helder (the Netherlands). maybe I'll look for the 7"on ebay. Just to complete my Culture Club singlescollection.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising