Sunday 7 December 2008

Water on glass - Kim Wilde

I was still desperately searching for Kim Wilde's 'Cambodia', but I couldn't find it. Instead, one autumn day in 1982, I bumped into an unknown English single by her. I found 'Water on glass'. I didn't know the track, since I hadn't bought any album by Kim yet, but the sleeve was appealing enough and I had become interested enough to want to have this single.

'Water on glass' was the third single to be drawn from Kim's debut album. It was a hit in the UK, reaching no. 11, but by the time European countries had caught on to the phenomena 'Kids in America' and 'Chequered love', Kim had already recorded 'Cambodia', so in most countries that single was released instead. I did buy a Dutch pressing of 'Water on glass' in 1998, however, so maybe the record companies did try to get it in the chart. I just don't know...

My collection: 7" single no. 175 / no. 3036
Found: Disco Market, Den Haag, 1982 / Record fair, Utrecht, October 11, 1998
Cost: 2 guilders / 10 guilders
Tracks: 'Water on glass' / 'Boys'

1 comment:

  1. Oooh I love Kim Wilde.I only relly got into her music from around 'Another Step' era,but then I went to carboot sales,picking up hre old singles - including this one.
    Water On Glass : 7/10
    Boys : 10/10 !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising