Friday 19 December 2008

Take on me - A-ha

The story of the song 'Uncertain smile' is similar to the one of this song. When the Norwegian group A-ha signed to WEA records in 1984, they released 'Take on me' as their debut single. When the sleeve pictured here doesn't look familiar to you, you've probably got another version of that same song. This original version was produced by Tony Mansfield, a man who had forged a pop career himself in the late seventies with New Musik.

Without the pop video that would stun the world, the original version 'Take on me' flopped mercilessly. The more successful version would be released a year later on the same label. I was lucky to find this original version within months of the release of the later successful one.

My collection: 7" single no. 377
Found: Nieuwstraat, Den Haag, 1985
Cost: 5 guilders
Tracks: 'Take on me [original version]' / 'And you tell me'
Download: here

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this! I was only 11 when their debut came out but I've always liked Take On Me from the radio and MTV. I never heard the full length until a few years ago and it's easily one of my favorite albums ever now. When I read about this version I had to hunt it down. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising