Wednesday 26 November 2008

Toy soldiers - Martika

Some would call it an obsession. In September 1989, I realised that every time I left my hometown, I bought a record wherever I went. So when I went to Noordwijk for a three day course with my fellow students, I simply had to get myself a record too. On the morning of the last day, I ran out to the centre of town, got into a record store and bought myself the best chart single I could find. It was Martika's 'Toy soldiers'.

It was Martika's debut single, which ended up number one in the USA. The inspiration for the song came from a friend of Martika who was battling a drug addiction at the time. The chorus of the song featured former castmates from 'Kids Incorporated', an American children's TV programme.

My collection: 7" single no. 983
Found: Noordwijk, September 13, 1989
Cost: 6 guilders
Tracks: 'Toy soldiers' / 'Exchange of hearts'
Download: here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising