Monday 24 November 2008

Moviestar - Harpo

Jan Harpo Torsten Svensson was born on April 5, 1950 in Stockholm, Sweden. In 1975 he rose to international fame with his song 'Moviestar'. It reached number one in Sweden and Germany, number 2 in Australia and the Netherlands. Although Harpo is still active in the music business to this day, he never repeated this level of success.

One of the backing singers on 'Moviestar' was Frida from that other famous Swedish act, Abba. I am sure that I didn't know this as a kid, even though I was an Abba fan, but the song had an incredible impact on me. I loved the melody, the strange accent in the vocals, and played my sister's copy of the single time and again. I bought my own copy in 1991.

My collection: 7" single no. 1520
Found: Record fair, Amsterdam, September 21, 1991
Cost: 2 guilders
Tracks: 'Moviestar' / ' I don't know why'
Download: here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising