Monday 17 November 2008

Christian - China Crisis

Somehow I managed to miss the song 'Christian' when it came out. I only found out about it years later, through a live version that came free with the double single for China Crisis's 'You did cut me'. I liked the song, but it took some time to find out that it was actually their first big hit - in the UK at least. In the Netherlands it didn't reach the top 40, but in the UK it got to no. 12 in 1983.

When I found the 12" single for 'Christian', I checked it out. The label said the song lasted for 5 minutes and 45 seconds, which seemed incredibly long to me. So I bought it, hoping to hear an extended version of the song. Of course, as fans of the band would know, the song is originally that long. But still, it wasn't a bad buy, because the B-side tracks were worth a spin or two as well. The upbeat 'Greenacre Bay' and the introspective instrumental 'Performing seals' are just two examples of China Crisis's extraordinary talent.
My collection: 12" single no. 98
Found: Disco Market, Den Haag, 1990
Cost: 2,5 guilders
Tracks: 'Christian' / 'Greenacre bay', 'Performing seals'
Download: here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising