Saturday 15 November 2008

Kids in America - Kim Wilde

Did I mention that I have a complete collection of Kim Wilde records? I didn't? Well, okay, so I did now. And in this first installment of a series that will take some months to develop, I can tell you it all started with Kim's debut single: 'Kids in America'.

I bought my first copy of this single in 1982 in the shop I mentioned in my first post, Disco Market. It was a year after Kim made the charts with this track, and it took so long to get it because I was always buying older, thus cheaper, chart singles. When Kim burst onto the scene I was only 10 years old. The song stuck in my mind, which is why I still wanted to have it one year on.

The copy pictured here is not the one I bought then. I've got three copies: the tattered, torn first one, a third one I bought recently to have a pristine copy, and the one pictured here. I had it signed by Kim in 1997, when she ended her 11 month run with the musical Tommy.

My collection: 7" single no. 108
Found: Disco Market, Den Haag, 1982
Cost: 2 guilders
Tracks: 'Kids in America' / 'Tuning in tuning on'
Download: Album 'Kim Wilde, including both tracks

4 comments:

  1. you have a great site! what is the password for this?

    thanks xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous that you have her autograph !
    I wonder why she signed it across her face though ?! It looks like there was room enough,to sign it to the left (in the background),or even sign it through her hair.
    Still.....lucky you !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI: This download was taken from http://historyofthe80s.blogspot.com/
    but it is no longer available.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising