Tuesday 11 November 2008

The first post... The first record!

The first single I ever bought was... well according to my administration it was 'Hello ah' by Mouth & MacNeal, released on the Decca label. The real first single will always remain a mystery, since I spent most of my childhood not only playing singles, but also rearranging and re-cataloguing them. Dozens of singles went into the garbage can, because I didn't like them anymore. I remember several 'Top 6' ep's, containing popular songs like 'Yellow river' and 'Heart of gold' performed by anonymous studio groups. I don't have those anymore...

I was only six or seven years old when I bought this single. I remember where I bought it too: the shop was called 'Disco Market' and it was the most popular second hand record store in the area. It was already in business before I was born and it closed its doors only recently, last year I think. Loads of singles that will appear in this blog were bought there. Sometimes I went there every week.

Mouth & MacNeal were a Dutch duo, most famous for their appearance in the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest. They finished behind Abba with their 'I see a star'. This single was their second no. 1 hit in the Netherlands, after 1971's 'How do you do'. It entered the Dutch Top 40 on May 20, 1972 and remained in the chart for 13 weeks.

And there you have it... This blog is off to a very promising start. Future posts will feature music from the seventies, eighties and nineties - all in some way present in my record collection. It's all 'Music on vinyl' to me!
My collection: 7" single no. 1
Found: Disco Market, Den Haag, 1977 (ish)
Cost: 1 guilder
Tracks: 'Hello ah' / 'Talk a little louder'
Download: here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising