Saturday 1 August 2009

Mull of Kintyre - Wings

'Mull of Kintyre' is arguably Paul McCartney & Wings' most recognised song. McCartney wrote it as an ode of the Kintyre peninsula in Scotland, where he had a home and recording studio since the late Sixties. McCartney commented about the song: 'I certainly loved Scotland enough, so I came up with a song about where we were living; an area called Mull of Kintyre. It was a love song really, about how I enjoyed being there and imagining I was travelling away and wanting to get back there.'

Released shortly before Christmas 1977, it became that year's Christmas number 1 in the UK, staying at the top of the singles chart for nine weeks. The single eventually sold over two million copies. The single also reached the top position in the Dutch Top 40.

I originally bought a copy of the single back in 1985, with the sleeve so torn up that I eventually cut out the photographs and made a new sleeve for it using standard white paper. This new copy is actually made in England, and in the condition it's in (i.e. very good) I bet a collector would pay dearly for this one.

My collection: 7" single no. 300
Found: Plaatboef, Rotterdam, July 31, 2009
Cost: 0,25 euro
Tracks: 'Mull of Kintyre' / 'Girls school'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising