Saturday 6 June 2009

Fernando - Abba

The song 'Fernando' was originally written for Anni-Frid Lynstad's solo album 'Ensam' (1975). The lyric of this version, which was written in Swedish, differed substantially from the English version recorded by Abba. Bjorn Ulvaeus from the band comments: 'That lyric is so banal and I didn't like it. It was a love lyric, someone who loved Fernando, but I inherited the word 'Fernando' and I thought long and hard, what does Fernando tell me? I was in my summerhouse one starry evening and the words came, 'There was something in the air that night' and I thought of two old comrades from some guerrilla war in Mexico who would be sitting in the porch and reminiscing about what happened to them back then and this is what it is all about. Total fiction.'

The single became one of Abba's best selling singles, reaching the top of the charts in more than a dozen countries worldwide.

My collection: 7" single no. 1939
Found: Disco Market, Den Haag, August 11, 1993
Cost: 1 guilder
Tracks: 'Fernando' / 'Tropical loveland'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising