Thursday 20 November 2008

Echo beach - Toyah

'Echo beach' was originally recorded by the Canadian band Martha & the Muffins in 1980. I liked that song a lot, and so it's no surprise that I would also be interested in cover versions. Toyah's version of the song was released in 1987, but I didn't find out about it until more than a decade later. That's when I found this 12" single.

It was an interesting find, because even though I like the song and Toyah's delivery of it isn't bad, it doesn't have quite the same magnetic quality the original had. The 'Surf mix' of the track is longer but doesn't add much to the song either. I would have to say that I haven't quite made up my mind on this one. But judge for yourself...

My collection: 12" single no. 387
Found: Record fair, Amsterdam, 1999
Cost: 3 guilders
Tracks: 'Echo Beach (Surf mix)' / 'Echo Beach (7" mix)', 'Plenty'
Download: here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising