Monday 7 October 2024

Homburg - Procol Harum

Procol Harum is primarily known for their biggest hit, 'A whiter shade of pale', but of course they recorded more interesting tracks than that one. I mentioned 'Grand Hotel' on this blog many years ago, and more recently I bought 'Homburg', which is actually the follow-up to 'A whiter shade of pale'. The titular Homburg refers to the Homburg hat, manufactured in Bad Homburg in Germany.

The lyrics of the song contains the same surreal, dream-like imagery and feelings of resignation and futility as in the debut single. The theme is not as clearly Bach-like as in 'A whiter shade of pale'; nevertheless, the single was, on its release, criticised for being too similar to its predecessor. The single reached number 6 in the UK singles chart and topped the Dutch Top 40.

I found the single in a generic white sleeve, but I can't really complain for the 50 eurocents it cost me.

My collection: 7" single no. 7360
Found: Record fair, Rotterdam, 5 October 2024
Tracks: 'Homburg' / 'Good Captain Clack'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising