Saturday 18 November 2023

Do you believe in shame? - Duran Duran

Back in 1989, I already bought 'Do you believe in shame?', Duran Duran's third single from their album 'Big Thing'. My copy was an American one, bought from a record shop that supplied the occasional import. 

I didn't know back then that the UK edition came in three varieties, that together would make up a collectable set. When I did find out, about eight years ago, those singles were hard to get. Online no dealer would have all three and the combined shipping costs would make collecting these singles quite an expensive experience.

I was glad when I bumped into a UK dealer at last week's record fair, who happened to have all three of these singles. I had no doubt that I really wanted to have them, because as you know I am a sucker for limited editions and strange single sets.

Part one comes with a sleeve in which you can house all three singles, whereas the actual single features the band's frontman Simon Le Bon. Nick Rhodes and John Taylor appear on the cover of parts 2 and 3 respectively. 

A successful legal challenge over the close resemblance of the melody of 'Do you believe in shame?' to that of the Dale Hawkins classic 'Suzie Q' (more famously covered by Creedence Clearwater Revival and The Rolling Stones), means the three writers of 'Suzie Q' were added to the official ASCAP credits for royalties on 'Do you believe in shame?'. Duran Duran always denied intentionally copying any other works, and that the similarity of the two songs was based on a "basic blues progression". 

My collection: 7" single no. 7072, 7073 and 7074
Found: Record fair, Den Bosch, 11 November 2023
Tracks: 'Do you believe in shame?' / 'The Krush Brothers LSD edit' // 'Do you believe in shame?' / 'God (London)', 'This is how a road gets made', 'Palomino' // 'Do you believe in shame?' / 'Drug (It's just a state of mind'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising