Sunday 19 May 2019

Save your kisses for me - Bobby Vinton

There was excitement here when the Netherlands finally won the Eurovision Song Contest yesterday, for the first time since 1975. It was the first time that I experienced this and I guess it is a historic moment in time. While celebrating this amazing result, we also have to spare a thought for those who were less lucky. Across the North Sea, Eurovision fans weren't quite as happy. The UK ended up in last place, with - it has to be said - a song that was unable to touch anyone's heart.

Things were quite different in 1976: 'Save your kisses for me' was a hit before the Contest even took place and copies of the Brotherhood Of Man single were pressed in such high amounts that they pop up in every thrift shop on a regular basis still. This single, on the other hand, is rare: it wasn't even listed on the excellent Discogs.com website! It is a German pressing of the Bobby Vinton cover of that song. And if, like me, you've heard the original too often, you will like this version a lot, because it is lush and polished.

My collection: 7" single no. 6068
Found: Velvet Vinyl Outlet, Leiden, May 18, 2019
Cost: 1 euro
Tracks: 'Save your kisses for me' / 'Love shine'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising