Thursday 29 April 2010

If I can't have you - Kim Wilde

When Kim Wilde was about to release a compilation album in 1993, there was a need for a hit single. Not convinced that they had a hit single among their newly written material, the Wildes set about searching for a song to cover. Eventually they decided on Yvonne Elliman's Saturday Night Fever hit 'If I can't have you'.

Although not as inspired as the 1986 cover of 'You keep me hangin' on', Kim's version of 'If I can't have you' certainly gives the old song a kick up the arse, and it was rewarded with good chart placings: the single reached number 12 in the UK singles chart and number 23 in the Dutch Top 40.

My collection: 7" single no. 2042
Found: Wreckastow, Rotterdam, October 23, 1993
Cost: 10 guilders
Tracks: 'If I can't have you' / 'Never felt so alive'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising