Sunday 6 December 2009

Don't stand so close to me - The Police

Sting, lead singer of the Police, was an English teacher before he found fame with his band. 'Don't stand so close to me', with its lyric dealing with the mixed feelings of a teacher (lust/guilt/fear), and inappropriateness leading to confrontation, caused some speculation on whether the song was actually autobiographical. Sting denied this in 2001 when he promoted the concert dvd 'All this time'.

The single was released in 1980. It gave the band their first hit in the USA, as it reached number 11 in the Billboard Hot 100 chart. In the UK, it was a number 1 hit, while in the Dutch Top 40 it reached number 3. The single I have is part of a limited edition with a poster sleeve.

My collection: 7" single no. 1219
Found: Record fair, Den Haag, April 22, 1990
Cost: 5 guilders
Tracks: 'Don't stand so close to me' / 'Friends'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising