Friday 9 October 2009

The air that I breathe - The Hollies

This song has the rare distinction of being the one and only song that has ever appeared in my dreams. I don't remember much of the dream, but I do remember waking up (twenty years ago) and remembering having heard this song while I was sleeping. And I think in my dream I was singing along, too! How weird.

'The air that I breathe' was written by Albert Hammond and Mike Hazlewood and originally recorded by Phil Everly. When the Hollies recorded it in 1974, they reached number 2 in the UK singles chart with it. This copy of the single is a UK re-release from 1988, which reached number 60.

My collection: 7" single no. 1083
Found: Record Exchange, London, October 19, 1989
Cost: 50p
Tracks: 'The air that I breathe' / 'We're through'

1 comment:

  1. In the U.S., where "The Air That I Breathe" was released on Epic 5-11100 in March 1974, first pressings and all promo copies miscredited the late Lee Hazlewood (who produced Duane Eddy in the 1950's and Nancy Sinatra in the '60's, occasionally singing in duets with the latter) as Hammond's co-writer (Columbia/Epic practice for songwriting credits on record labels was to list the writer's first initial, in this case at first "-A. Hammond - L. Hazelwood-"). Indeed, some websites today still misattribute Lee Hazlewood rather than Mike Hazelwood with Hammond. Second pressings of this 45 corrected that error, and third pressings added the info on the LP from which it came ("Hollies," KE 32574).

    Songwriting credit issues aside, I agree, this is a powerful tune. And one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising