Wednesday 9 September 2009

Sunny - Boney M

'Sunny' was originally written and performed by Bobby Hebb in 1966. It was covered by Boney M in 1976, and released as a single from their debut album 'Take the heat off me', following their breakthrough single 'Daddy cool'. Hebb himself released a disco version of the song, also in 1976, and had minor success on Billboard's R&B chart.

Boney M's version topped the charts in Germany and the Netherlands and reached number 3 in the UK. The track was remixed in 1988 and 1999, but when released as singles they didn't have the same amount of success. While Liz Mitchell sang the original lead vocals on Boney M.'s version, original member Maizie Williams recorded a solo version in 2006.

My collection: 7" single no. 183
Found: Disco Market, Den Haag, 1982
Cost: 1 guilder
Tracks: 'Sunny' / 'New York City'

1 comment:

  1. This was my first record I ever bought. I was 12 and jealous of all my classmates who had already extensive record collections of ABBA and ELO. So I splurged a whole month' worth of allowance to buy this single, not just to catch up to my friends but also to signal to my parents that I was ready to be a teenager and was moving on from the jazz and classical music that was playing in our house constantly.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising