Thursday 13 August 2009

Straight up - Paula Abdul

'Straight up' was the third single from Paula Abdul's debut album 'Forever your girl', but the first one to be a worldwide success. The single spent three weeks at number 1 in the US Billboard Hot 100 chart, peaked at number 2 in Australia and number 3 in the Netherlands, Germany and the UK.

I bought the single within months of its release, since I liked this song as it played on the radio. In later years, I learned to appreciate it less for its synthetic sounds and the thin voice of Abdul. But now I have to say my judgement lies somewhere in the middle: despite its flaws it's still a nice song. I bought a poster edition of the single in the UK, but only just realised that the B-side of the poster edition is different. Hence, here's the last addition from my London shopping spree.

My collection: 7" single no. 871 / no. 3999
Found: Free Record Shop, Den Haag, June 2, 1989 / Record Exchange, London, August 5, 2009
Cost: 6 guilders / 50p
Tracks (1): 'Straight up' / 'Cold hearted'
Tracks (2): 'Straight up' / 'Straight up (Power mix)'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising