Thursday 6 August 2009

Olé olé - Izhar Cohen

After buying six singles in the Soul & Dance department, I went a few numbers down the road and reached the 'Music & Video Exchange' on Notting Hill Gate. I went down to the basement, suspecting that if they were still selling cheap singles, they'd be there. And I was right: a whole alphabetized collection was waiting there for me. When I started browsing, this single was the first one (of the 37 I would eventually find here!) that I wanted to have. Quite a strange find.

Izhar Cohen won the 1978 Eurovision Song Contest for Israel with 'A-ba-ni-bi'. Israel must have been looking for another victory when they sent him again in 1985. This time, he tried it with that famous Hebrew chant, 'Olé Olé'. The original version of the song (in Hebrew) is not included on this single, for it contains the English version only. I didn't even know the song had been released in the UK, but this is really an English pressing.

My collection: 7" single no. 3929
Found: Record Exchange, London, August 5, 2009
Cost: 1 pound
Tracks: 'Olé olé' / 'Blue'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising