Tuesday 7 July 2009

Beat it - Michael Jackson

'Beat it' is the first Michael Jackson single I ever bought. It was a stunning piece of work, combining dance rhythms with a decidedly hardrock guitar solo. The solo was performed by Eddie van Halen, who recorded his solo free of charge. 'I did it as a favor. I was a complete fool, according to the rest of the band, our manager and everyone else. I was not used. I knew what I was doing - I don't do something unless I want to do it.'

The lyrics of 'Beat it' are about defeat and courage. The line 'don't be a macho man' is said to express Jackson's dislike of violence, whilst also referencing the childhood abuse he faced at the hands of his father Joseph.

My collection: 7" single no. 192
Found: LP Top 100, Den Haag, 1983
Cost: 5,5 guilders
Tracks: 'Beat it' / 'Get on the floor'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising