Sunday 3 May 2009

Take a chance on me - Abba

Much has been said about Abba's later years, when both couples had divorced and their music took on an increasingly serious tone. It's easy to forget that it all started out as great fun. 'Take a chance on me' is one of those upbeat tracks. The song's origins sprang from Ulvaeus, whose hobby was running. While running, he would sing a "tck-a-ch"-style rhythm to himself over and over again, which then evolved into "take-a-chance" and the eventual lyrics.

'Take a chance on me' was a number one hit in Austria, Belgium, Ireland and the UK, and peaked at number 2 in the Netherlands. The song was covered by Erasure on their 'Abba-esque' EP (1992).

My collection: 7" single no. 2117
Found: Plaatboef, Rotterdam, June 11, 1994
Cost: 1 guilder
Tracks: 'Take a chance on me' / 'I'm a marionette'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising