Saturday 2 May 2009

Everybody wants to run the world - Tears for fears

Tears for fears had a big worldwide hit with 'Everybody wants to rule the world' in 1985. In the slipstream of charity projects like Band Aid, Live Aid etcetera, 1986 saw the event Sport Aid take shape. Tears for Fears were asked to contribute a theme song, which became 'Everybody wants to run the world'. Roland Orzabal explained why the song was recorded: '...to get Bob Geldof off our backs! He gave us so much gip for not turning up at Live Aid. All those millions of people dying, it was our fault. I felt terrible. I tell you, I know how Hitler must have felt.'

Being absolutely appalled about anything to do with sports, I had a lot of doubt whether I should buy this single. In the end, my desire to have a complete Tears for fears collection was stronger.

My collection: 7" single no. 1317
Found: Virgin Megastore, London, October 16, 1990
Cost: 3 pounds
Tracks: 'Everybody wants to run the world' / 'Everybody wants to run the world (Running version)'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising