Monday 13 April 2009

Don't stand so close to me '86 - The Police

When the Police released the compilation 'Every breath you take' in 1986, I got the cassette and played it a lot. I liked the '86 version of 'Don't stand so close to me' and even preferred it to the less polished original, but didn't buy the single until I found it as a bargain in 1990. In the mean time, the cassette was enough for me.

The Police recorded 'Don't stand so close to me '86' during a rather tense session in the studio. Because drummer Stewart Copeland broke his collarbone, he was unable to play the drums. He used his Fairlight CMI to program the drum track for this track, while lead singer Sting pushed to utilize the drums on his Synclavier instead. Copeland was later quoted as saying that the argument over Synclavier versus Fairlight drums was 'the straw that broke the camel's back', and led to the group's unraveling.

My collection: 7" single no. 1245
Found: Free Record Shop, Den Haag, June 14, 1990
Cost: 3 guilders
Tracks: 'Don't stand so close to me '86' / 'Don't stand so close to me (live)'


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising