Saturday 24 October 2009

The wild boys - Duran Duran

The idea for 'The wild boys' came from Duran Duran's video director Russell Mulcahy, who wanted to make a full-length feature film based on the 1971 novel 'The wild boys: a book of the dead' by William S. Burroughs. He suggested that the band might create a modern soundtrack for the film. Singer Simon Le Bon began writing some lyrics based on Mulcahy's quick synopsis of the book, and the band created a harsh-sounding instrumental backdrop for them.

Although the movie never came to be, Mulcahy did direct the ambitious music video for 'The wild boys', which cost over one million dollars to make (a staggering sum for a music video at the time) and also delivered an urban myth about Simon le Bon supposedly nearly drowning while he was strapped to a windmill. The single reached number 1 in Germany and Canada and number 2 in the UK singles chart and the Dutch Top 40.

My collection: 7" single no. 4123
Found: Kringloop, Den Haag, October 24, 2009
Cost: 0,5 euro
Tracks: 'The wild boys' / '(I'm looking for) Cracks in the pavement (live)'

2 comments:

  1. Bro - your blog rocks!! You're a mad man putting up so many files a month! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know they did 6 covers for the UK 7 inch, the one you have with the whole band on, and 5 others each with 1 member of the band on, I think I got 4 of the 5 and the whole band sleeve, need to check, BTW have to say great site, I collect 7 inch singles here in the UK, I think I got over 7000, including some European ones lost count, wish I had listed them, and when I got them and how much for like you have, but to late now, would take me for ever, keep up the good work. Adam from the UK.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising