Sunday 11 January 2009

Puppet on a string - Sandie Shaw

Sandie Shaw won the 1967 Eurovision Song Contest with 'Puppet on a string'. It subsequently spent three weeks at the top of the UK singles chart. On the national final on UK television, Shaw performed five songs, of which one would be selected to represent the UK. Shaw was very disappointed when this song was chosen. 'I hated it from the very first oompah to the final bang on the big bass drum. I was instinctively repelled by its sexist drivel and cuckoo-clock tune.' Despite all this, she won the Eurovision Song Contest convincingly, although she put it down to her existing popularity on the European continent.

When I bought this single, two versions were staring at me from the shelf. I chose this one, because of the sleeve that contains a photograph from the actual Song Contest performance.

My collection: 7" single no. 3542
Found: Empire Records, January 9, 2009
Cost: 3,5 euro
Tracks: 'Puppet on a string' / 'Tell the boys'
Download: Album 'Princess of Britpop', including both tracks (password: www.freesoftwarealliance.com )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising