Friday 9 October 2009

Lonely avenue - Marty Wilde

As a fan of Kim Wilde, I was rather late in discovering the music of Marty Wilde. As 'Abergavenny' had been a hit in the Netherlands, I knew that song, but his earlier work eluded me until the Nineties. After I'd discovered great songs like 'Jezebel' and 'Teenager in love', I started hunting for these singles - but they are incredibly hard to come by.

I found this EP on eBay a few years ago. I was again intrigued, as the song titles didn't look familiar. Turns out that the two songs on the A-side of this EP were recorded with the legendary John Barry and his orchestra. The songs were not commercially successful, but I do think they are an artistic triumph. Released in 1964, this is an extraordinary collection of songs.

My collection: 7" single no. 3342
Found: eBay.co.uk, received 2002
Cost: 3 pounds
Tracks: 'Lonely avenue', 'Brand new love' / 'Kiss me', 'My what a woman'

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    Marty was a Rock'n'Roll star when I became a teenager in the '60s and I remember his covers of American hits. Some of them were better than the originals like "Sea Of Love". I liked him in the movie "What A Crazy World" with another old favourite from that time Joe Brown. I was sure that I had heard "Lonely Avenue" by Marty around 1969 and thinking if he had recorded it a few years earlier it might have been a hit. I now see it was released in 1964 and it still sounds good and I have not heard it for 40 years.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising