Wednesday 14 January 2009

Is it a crime? - Sade

In 1985 and 1986, Sade's 'Is it a crime?' was one of my favourite songs of all time. Its intensity, the beauty of the melody, the subtle tones in the music and the dynamics of the song (from soft to loud and back) were a true revelation. A few years later, I would buy the cd of 'Promise' for this song alone - although the rest of the album was pretty beautiful too.

The 12" single didn't come into my collection after years of doubting. Sure, I loved the song, but Sade B-sides are not always that interesting - and this 12" featured two B-sides. Both tracks are instrumentals, performed by Sade's band. But without Sade Adu's voice, it's a lot less interesting. Even if the lyric is a bit bland, like on 'Is it a crime?'.

My collection: 12" single no. 293
Found: Record fair, Netherlands, 1996
Cost: 5 guilders
Tracks: 'Is it a crime?', 'Wired' / 'Punch drunk'
Download: here

1 comment:

  1. Weird we share so much tast... and I think Is it a crime is the highlight of the album as well.

    thanks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising