Sunday 16 November 2008

Sweetest smile - Black

In 1987, I went on holiday to London. Having not been there for many years, I really longed for that holiday. I knew that the city would offer some record shops, and if I was to believe my sister, they were huge. I saved up a lot of money for that holiday, hoping to have enough to buy everything I saw - at least the things I liked.

The day before we went, I saw 'Top of the pops' on the BBC. Much to my surprise, I saw a performance by the band Black. I hadn't heard from that band since Hey Presto, so this was a great surprise. Apparently their single 'Sweetest smile' was just released, and the holiday to London presented an opportunity to pick up the single. Of course, it wasn't released in the Netherlands until it became a hit in the UK. I couldn't know that Black was about to become a household name during that year.

'Sweetest smile' was very different from 'Hey Presto', but I really liked it. Singer Colin Vearncombe has one of the most beautiful voices in the business, and the sophistication and style that oozed from 'Sweetest smile' was irresistible for me. I do wonder why the public dropped him so easily after 'Wonderful life'. Maybe it was just too good. Fortunately, I never lost contact with Black again.

My collection: 7" single no. 544
Found: Tower Records, Kensington London, 1987
Cost: 2 pounds
Tracks: 'Sweetest smile [7" edit]' / 'Sixteens'
Download: here

1 comment:

  1. Is it possible to upload this beautiful single again ??

    Thanks

    Keep on going with your great side

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising